Ogbono Soup also referred to as Draw Soup makes consuming Fufu Recipes really easy due to its slimy nature which helps the lumps of fufu slide down. In case your youngsters don’t like Okra Soup due to the chunks of Okra, then attempt Ogbono Soup, they may certainly adore it. It’s possible you’ll wish to use the recipe for mild Ogbono Soup when making ready theirs.
Tips on how to Prepare dinner Ogbono Soup [Video]
Egusi and Ogbono Soup Combo
Some folks like their Ogbono soup plain, with no added greens, others wouldn’t contact it except there may be some form of vegetable in it. A 3rd group love their Ogbono Soup with Okra. Some folks even go fancy and add Egusi to it.
You should definitely take a look at the next hyperlink the place you'll discover extra ideas for making ready Ogbono Soup.
Ogbono Soup: Incessantly Requested Questions
Ogbono Soup: Best Recipe?
Extra Nigerian Soups Recipes:
Elements for Ogbono Soup
- Assorted Meat and Fish: Beef, Shaki (cow tripe), Dry Fish, Stockfish
- 2 handfuls Ogbono Seeds
- Three cooking spoons crimson palm oil
- Vegetable: Frozen Spinach (you can too use Pumpkin leaves and even Bitterleaf)
- 2 tablespoons floor crayfish
- Pepper and Salt (To style)
- 1 onion
- 2 inventory/seasoning/boullion cubes
For grinding the ogbono seeds, you will have:
- A spice/coffer grinder: Purchase it in USA | in UK
Earlier than you cook dinner Ogbono Soup
- Grind the Ogbono with a dry mill.
- Lower the frozen spinach when it isn’t utterly defrosted. It’s simpler that manner. Then when utterly defrosted, squeeze out the surplus water.
- Prepare dinner the various meat with the inventory cubes and onion. If you’ll use Shaki, bear in mind to start out cooking that first, then add beef when virtually carried out.
- Grind crayfish and pepper.
- Boil some water and put aside.
Cooking Instructions for Ogbono Soup
- Pour the palm oil right into a clear dry chrome steel or aluminium pot. Set on the range and soften the oil at low warmth. Bear in mind, solely soften the oil, don’t enable it to warmth up.
- As soon as melted, flip off the warmth and add the bottom Ogbono.
- Use your cooking spoon to dissolve the Ogbono within the oil.
- When all of the Ogbono powder has utterly combined with the oil, add the meat/fish inventory (water from cooking the various meat and fish). Set the warmth of your cooker to low and begin stirring. You’ll discover the Ogbono begin to thicken and draw.
- Hold stirring until the Ogbono has utterly absorbed the meat inventory.
- Add a small amount of the new water and stir until the Ogbono has absorbed all of the water. Repeat this course of until you get a consistency that’s proven within the video under.
- Ensuring that your warmth is about to low, cowl the pot and begin cooking. As soon as it begins to simmer, stir each 2-Three minutes for 20 minutes.
So what you'll do is: each Three minutes or so, open the pot, stir each properly, scraping the Ogbono that sticks to the bottom of the pot, cowl the pot and cook dinner for an additional Three minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the Ogbono ought to be properly cooked and you’ll start to understand its good flavour and aroma.
- Add the various meat and fish, floor crayfish, salt and pepper to style. The Ogbono might have turn into thicker from the cooking. In that case, add a bit bit extra water and stir very properly. Cowl and cook dinner until the contents of the pot is properly heated up.
- If you happen to choose your Ogbono Soup with out greens, flip off the warmth and serve however for those who like so as to add a vegetable then maintain studying 🙂
- When the contents of the pot have heated up, add the vegetable (frozen Spinach used within the video). Stir very properly, cowl the pot and switch off the warmth. Go away to face for about 5 minutes and serve with any Fufu recipe.
Serve Ogbono Soup with any Nigerian Fufu meal.
Incessantly Requested Questions on Ogbono Soup
My Ogbono Soup doesn’t draw. Why?
These are the primary the reason why your Ogbono Soup doesn’t draw.
You got the improper seeds. There’s one other seed that appears a lot like Ogbono and is bought as Ogbono seeds in Nigerian markets. First signal that you’re shopping for the improper seeds is that if they’re too low cost to be true. To substantiate that the seeds are actually Ogbono seeds: break the seed and rub the damaged sides collectively, in the event that they make a sap that pulls, then you definately've bought the actual Ogbono seeds. In Nigeria, each open market vendor ought to allow you to do that "drawing check", if not, please depart their store and go some other place.
How can I cook dinner Ogbono Soup in order that it doesn’t burn?
First, flip down the warmth. No matter you might be cooking, flip down the warmth to stop burning. That is particularly the case with Ogbono Soup which could be very sticky. All the time cook dinner your Ogbono Soup at very low warmth. In case your cooker's heating ranges from 1 to 9, set the warmth to 4.
Secondly, don’t add crayfish or some other substances when cooking the Ogbono at first. Crayfish particularly hurries up the burning. While you grind your Ogbono in Nigerian markets, they may inform you to make use of crayfish to verify all of the Ogbono comes out of the mill. If you happen to determine to do this, ensure that they put the crayfish and that final little bit of Ogbono in a distinct plastic bag for you and add the crayfish bit whenever you add the remainder of the substances.
Additionally, use chrome steel or aluminium pots in cooking your Ogbono Soup. Non-stick pots are usually not one of the best for cooking Ogbono Soup although it says non-stick lol!
My Ogbono Soup tastes bland regardless of all of the substances I normally add to it. Why is that this?
One motive Ogbono Soup will style bland even after including sufficient substances is that you simply didn’t cook dinner it lengthy sufficient. I’ve seen lots of people cook dinner Ogbono for under 5 minutes. That's not sufficient. Ogbono, as soon as added, ought to be cooked for a minimum of 20 minutes on low warmth. That is the time at which the style begins to return out and mix with the substances.
One more reason is perhaps as a result of the Ogbono seeds have gone mouldy wherein case, it’ll have a barely bitter style too.
Again to high