Colitis is an inflammation of the large intestine (colon). As happens with other conditions, such as anisocytosis, we can say that colitis is a symptom of other diseases rather than a pathology in itself. That is why treatment depends on the disease that causes it. This is also the case regarding the prognosis. However, there are natural remedies that can help prevent and / or treat inflammation of the colon, a condition that can cause much discomfort to the point of impacting our quality of life. In OneHowTo.com we show you some home remedies for colitis.
It is important to know what symptoms colitis causes. If you have one or several of these symptoms, you probably have an inflamed colon:
- Abdominal pain and swelling.
- Blood in stools or presence of mucus.
- Fever and / or chills.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Constant need for bowel movements.
- Intestinal cramps.
Before further action and to ensure the home remedies take effect, there are some points you should keep in mind:
- Check your folic acid. Many patients with colitis are deficient in folic acid.
- Avoid drinking coffee, smoking, eating spicy foods and drinking fizzy drinks.
- Anxiety is one of the triggers of colitis so take it easy and control your stress levels.
Now you can apply the different home remedies for colitis. Take care of your colon and ensure your body’s well-being.
Have you heard of acupressure? Acupressure consists in applying pressure with the fingers on certain points located on the soles of the feet, in the ear and on the palms of the hands. Thus it has beneficial results for our health similar to those of acupuncture.
Acupressure, like acupuncture, relaxes and relieves the intestines. This makes the pain go away or decrease quickly, it also improves our stools and allows intestinal mucosa to regain its function. To apply this method you will have to follow this step by step:
- Press with your thumb the point located between the index and forefinger.
- Also press the point that is in the abdomen, below the navel.
- Keep the pressure on these 3 points for 3 minutes.
Epsom salts are also beneficial to alleviate colitis. Most people are unaware of the fact that magnesium sulphate, found in Epsom salts, is absorbed through the skin. Epsom salts have anti-inflammatory properties and relieve the natural pain of our organism, in this case reducing the increase in water in the intestines and therefore helping to combat colitis.
Here is how to carry out this home Remedy for colitis:
- Mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with 2 cups of water.
- Dip a soft cloth in the mixture and put it on the abdomen.
- Place a bottle of hot water on top.
- Leave it for 3-4 hours.
Another method that can help reduce inflammation and remove toxins from the intestines are clay poultices in the belly area. To make this natural treatment you have to follow these steps:
- Mix clay with water (you get a mixture that you can spread).
- Apply it in the belly area.
- Cover with a gauze or handkerchief.
- Place a towel over it like a girdle.
- Leave for at least 1/2 hour (ideally overnight).
- Take it off with warm water when dry.
It is important to eat high-fibre foods and maintain a clean and healthy bowel. A diet rich in whole grain foods is ideal to treat colitis. But we must keep in mind that increasing fibre in the diet may cause constipation, so it is important that while we add fibre we drink more water. You should drink at least 6-10 glasses of water daily.
A condition that can have a direct impact on the intestine and which may generate the appearance of inflammation in the colon is intolerance to dairy. If you think that milk may be a cause of inflammation in your colon you can try to stop consuming dairy for a month (we must give our bodies enough time to completely eliminate it). If when reintroducing it to your diet you feel discomfort it would be appropriate that you no longer consume dairy products.
A very effective infusion for colon inflammation uses licorice root as this natural ingredient has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties of the gastric mucosa. To prepare this tea, follow these steps:
- Take 1 tablespoon of dried root.
- Mash it in a glass of water.
- Take 2 tablespoons of this infusion every day.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Home Remedies for Colitis, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.
Colitis have become a very common disease these days, especially in people belonging to the age group 25-30. It is a type of inflammatory bowel condition, which is associated with inflammation and pain of the colon or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. If left medically unattended Colitis can turn into more severe conditions like Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s disease. Colitis was first discovered in the 50s and ever since then people and practitioners are very concerned about its cure and have a lot of unanswered questions about the same. The reason being, though it’s been half a decade, the medical fraternity is still not able to figure out the reason behind Colitis and has been offering treatments including prescribed medication and surgeries based on mere assumptions. So is it impossible to cure Colitis? No, it’s possible if it is treated the right way with the right kind of natural-holistic medication. Read on to know how.
The cure to Colitis is pretty simple and is right in front of us. Specialized nutritional supplements that contain the specific nutrients that the colon is made of. You don’t need any immune suppressant drugs nor require any surgery. All it takes is 3-4 months and a mildly strict diet, which should exclude high fiber foods, such as raw vegetables, raw fruits and nuts. In order to explain this, you should know how Colitis are caused in the first place.
Colitis as we know it, is a condition where the intestinal walls are damaged, leading to persistent diarrhea, nausea and if left unattended, traces of blood and mucus in the stool. This damage is caused by Synthetic Antibiotics, which are present in the many medicines we consume and the products we use on a daily basis like toothpaste and soaps. These antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria but also the good ones protecting the mucosal lining of our intestinal walls. On account of this, the mucosal lining is compromised leading to seepage of strong digestive acids released during digestion onto the delicate walls of intestine and stomach. Upon repeated exposure, the walls are damaged leading to inflammation and pain. The only way to prevent this from happening is by supplying the body with essential nutrients that these walls are made of rather than worsening the condition by the use of ongoing courses of synthetic antibiotics.
Thus, in order to cure Colitis, you must know the cause of Colitis before. Now that you know, we hope you consider treatment via Holistic Gastroenterology™, which understands Colitis is a significant manmade condition that can be completely healed with the proper treatment.
Table of Contents
Ulcerative colitis is one of the most common diseases in this generation and is becoming quite common due to the changing lifestyle as well as changing eating habits. It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that causes long-lasting inflammation and sores(ulcers) in the digestive tract. As well as, affects the innermost lining of the colon (large intestine) and rectum. Symptoms usually develop with time rather than suddenly. In modern medicine, there is no cure for ulcerative colitis but this disease can be permanently cured by various natural remedies and by taking precautions in the diet. Allopathic treatment involves only reducing the signs and symptoms of the disease which can even bring about remission but ulcerative colitis can be cured by herbal remedies without any side effects.
What are the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Diarrhea often with blood or pus
- Rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding– passing a small amount of blood with stool
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Urgency to defecate
- Weight loss
- In children, failure to grow
What are the Causes of Ulcerative Colitis?
The exact cause of ulcerative colitis is not known. Though, according to modern medicine, one possible cause is an immune system malfunction. When the immune system tries to fight off an invading bacterium or virus, an abnormality in the immune system causes the immune system to attack the cells in the digestive tract too. Stress and diet aggravate this condition, further.
Ulcerative colitis according to Ayurveda
- Diseases of the stomach have been described in the 15th chapter of Charak Chikitsa under the chapter Udara Roga Chikitsa. The large intestine according to Ayurveda is a primary seat of Apana Vata which is responsible for detoxification and cleansing through stool, urine, and menstruation. Colon continues after small intestine which is a seat of Pachak Pitta responsible for the secretion of digestive juices and Samana Vata which is responsible for proper absorption and intestinal movements. Colon along with small intestine is also the seat of Ama doshas. Thus, ulcerative colitis becomes a playing field of vitiated Ama dosha, Samana Vata, Pachak Pitta, Apana Vata, and Rakta dhatu.
- So, the Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis rests upon these principles– Ama detoxification (the very important part), Vatahar, Pitta shamak, Raktashodhak, ulcer healing, bowel regulator, general dietary support, mental and emotional wellbeing, dietary and lifestyle modification. The first line of treatment involves bringing “Agni” in the normal state which is done by the prescription of Deepan, Pachan Aushidhi so the absorption and digestion of various medicines given in the form of Sanshaman yoga take place efficiently and maximal benefit of treatment can be obtained.
- The Ayurvedic treatment includes correcting bleeding in the stool and bowel frequency which are the cardinal features of ulcerative colitis. In addition, Ayurvedic treatment also involves the improvement of the general condition of the patient. According to Ayurveda, it is a disease of Purishavaha srotas and Raktatisara is mentioned as an advanced stage of Pittatisara.
- Piccha basti is also mentioned as the management of Raktatisara in Charak Samhita. This disease can be co-related with ulcerative colitis. Raktatisara is mentioned in Charak Samhita in Atisaar Chikitsa Adhyay and its symptoms like– Sulam, Vidaaham, Gudpaakam can be compared with rectal pain, inflammation, rectal ulceration, and bleeding. The main cause of this disease is Ama dosha, Vata, and Pitta imbalance. Ama dosha is the toxins that are considered as the cause of autoimmunity in Ayurveda. There are very good results in ulcerative colitis patients after using Ayurvedic treatment.
Line of Ayurvedic treatment is broadly divided into two parts
- Sanshaman Chikitsa
- Sanshodhan Chikitsa
So Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis is much better than Allopathic treatment which prescribes steroids and surgery for the same and ayurvedic treatment also helps the patients to get rid of psychological illness and remission of the disease process.
Permanent cure of Ulcerative Colitis:
Planet Ayurveda offers Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack which is very effective in curing the disease of its root without having any side effects. Ulcerative colitis care pack of Planet Ayurveda consists of:
How do doctors treat microscopic colitis?
To treat microscopic colitis, your doctor may recommend
- quitting smoking, if you smoke
- changing any medicines you take that could be causing microscopic colitis or making your symptoms worse
- taking medicines to treat microscopic colitis
- changing what you eat and drink to help improve symptoms
Medicines most often treat microscopic colitis effectively. In rare cases, doctors may recommend surgery.
Doctors prescribe medicines to improve symptoms and achieve remission—a time when you have fewer symptoms or symptoms disappear. Medicines that doctors recommend to treat microscopic colitis include
- corticosteroids, also called steroids, most commonly in the form of budesonide
- antidiarrheal medicines
- bile acid binders
Doctors rarely recommend surgery to treat microscopic colitis. Surgery may be an option if microscopic colitis causes severe symptoms that don’t improve after treatment with medicines.
This content is provided as a service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), part of the National Institutes of Health. The NIDDK translates and disseminates research findings to increase knowledge and understanding about health and disease among patients, health professionals, and the public. Content produced by the NIDDK is carefully reviewed by NIDDK scientists and other experts.
Colitis is a sub-acute or chronic disease of the colon and rectum of variable aetiology and unpredictable prognosis. It is a specific and non-specific inflammatory disease of the large bowel which is confined to mucosa. It affects the inner most lining of the large intestine. Symptoms usually develop over time, rather suddenly. As the materialisation is increasing, the incidence of ulcerative colitis is encountered more frequently in hospitals. In modern medicine, many drugs are available for the treatment of ulcerative colitis like—Sulfasalazine, etc. having both anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties but these drugs have gigantic list of possible side effects.
Even after taking steroids and sulfasalazine, patients suffer from the disease. So, the patients are always seeking some alternative therapies that promise more effective and safer outcomes as modern medicine has no known cure for this disease. Allopathic treatment only reduces the signs and symptoms of the disease but Ayurveda offers comprehensive treatment of the disease including diet, medication. Panchkarma therapies and home remedies for ulcerative colitis.
Ayurvedic treatment is a fine conservative and remedial method for the treatment of ulcerative colitis without having side effects. So, there is a need to come across ancient system of medicine which has no side effects. Reports say that ulcerative colitis is affecting 10-15 new people per 1,00,000 population every year, equally affecting both the genders. Most patients are in between the age group of 20-40 years.
According to Ayurveda
- Ayurvedic physicians found excellent results in the patients suffering from Ulcerative Colitis with certain Ayurvedic treatments, home remedies and modifications in the diet. The Ayurvedic treatment significantly corrects bleeding in stool and bleeding frequency which are the cardinal features of ulcerative colitis and also acts upon the psychological stress thus curing the disease by acting on the cause.
- According to Ayurveda, ulcerative colitis is a disease having Pitta origin having varying degrees of Vata involvement. The excessive consumption of Pitta aggravating foods damage both Rakta dhatu and Mamsa dhatu. It is a disease of Purishvaha strotas.
- Raktatisara is mentioned as an advanced stage of Pittatisara. Sushruta mentioned about this disease 3000 years ago that “Pitta” type people are more prone to Ulcerative Colitis. When Pitta dosha gets imbalanced, it vitiates intestines and causes “Pittaja Grahani”. Pittaja Grahani produces the classical symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis but vitiation of Pitta when reaches extreme causes severe inflammation, ulceration and rectal bleeding (active phase).
Causes of Pittaja Grahani disease according to Ayurveda
- Mandagni (low digestive fire leading to poor digestion and poor appetite)
- Consumption of heavy to digest foods in diet
- Improper and irrelevant diet habits.
- Intake of Pitta aggravating diets like—excess spicy, pungent, acidic/sour foods
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis
- Diarrhoea with blood or pus
- Rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss
- Dark patches under the eyes
- Urge to defecate
- Ongoing diarrhoea that doesn’t respond to over the counter medications
- Diarrhoea that awakens you from sleep
How To Cure Ulcerative Colitis – Diet & Home Remedies
- Take the powder of Bael fruit with equal quantity of jaggery three times a day.
- Include fresh pomegranate juice in your diet on regular basis.
- Cumin seeds and tender leaves of Guava are taken and fine paste is prepared. 20 gram of this paste is taken along with buttermilk twice daily. It helps in reducing the frequency of episodes of bowel habit.
- The fruit cover of Pomegranate is rubbed with lemon juice and fine paste is made. This should be taken twice daily with warm water. It helps in restoring the capacity of intestine.
- Mix the sandalwood powder (5 grams) with non-refined sugar (3 grams) and honey (3 grams) and make a paste. Take this paste with rice-washed water twice a day. This remedy helps in relieving bleeding and diarrhoea.
- Take 5 grams of connessi bark (Kutaj bark) and 5 grams of pomegranate bark. Add 2 cups of water and boil until one cup of water is left. Filter it and take this drink with little honey. This remedy is helpful in blood in stools.
- Banana is rich in astringent principles so it acts as a natural styptic and helps in controlling diarrhoea and bleeding per rectum.
- Honey is rich in astringent principle. It has wound healing property and has soothing effect on the wall of intestine. In addition, it adds nutritional value to the diet as the patient suffering from ulcerative colitis has the problems like—mal absorption and dehydration.
- Nutmeg—It soothes and heals the wounds of intestines.
- Cumin seeds—Cumin seeds improves digestion as well as these seeds are not spicy.
- Neem—Decoction of neem is useful in healing the intestinal wounds. It is also a powerful anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory.
- Bael fruit—It is natural anti-inflammatory and styptic.
Diet in Ulcerative Colitis
A strict diet rich in astringent principles helps to keep the disease under good control. Diet plan is crucial in the treatment of ulcerative colitis because of its higher chance of recurrence.
- Eat small, frequent meals and over-eating must be avoided.
- Drink plenty of buttermilk
- Avoid dairy products like—milk, cheese, curd, meat, fish, eggs as they are prone to irritate the colon and rekindle inflammation.
- All white flour products like—refined flour, white sugar are extremely harmful.
- Foods which have detoxifying and cleansing effect on the intestines such as—bottle gourd, turmeric must be included in the diet.
- Crohn’s disease often leads to mal-absorption syndrome. As a result, patient has inadequate level of nutrient elements like—zinc and iron. Hence, it is advisable to take Yashad Bhasam or Lauh Bhasam as per doctor’s advice.
Herbs for ulcerative colitis
- Kutaja (Halorrhenaantidysentrica)
- Pomegranate, Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Musta (Cyprusrotundus)
- Lodhra (Symplocosracemosa)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
« Top 10 Most effective herbs to cure Endometriosis Ayurvedic Treatment for Balanitis | Herbal Remedies »